October 21, 2009

Build Residual Income with Anchored Backlinks

In my last post I discussed how I wanted to build residual income producing content on the web. I referred to three things in particular in that post which I'm involved in: content websites (eHow), flagship blogs (my longevity blog and this blog), and niche blogs (unnamed). Each of these types of online content centers are really only built for one reason: to build residual income. In this post I want to zero in on how to take this online real estate and build residual income by increasing SERP rank with anchored backlinks and a defined backlink strategy.

Build Residual Income

For this post I’m going to be zeroing in on my first and most established blog and discuss what I have been doing wrong from day 1 and what I am doing today to fix my errors.

From day one I named my blog and have been sending backlinks to the blog using the entire name, How To Live A Longer Life. This is really good in as much as it gives my site authority keyword ranking in the SERPs for the entire anchor link that is used, in this case the anchor text used for most every link to my main blog was “how to live a longer life”. This has been beneficial to my site in climbing the SERPs for this search term. In fact right now, five months after its inception, the site 2nd in the SERPs for it’s main keyword phrase. The problem however is that few people search for this entire phrase and I have rarely used the entire phrase in my 200 plus blog posts. If I used the entire phrase more often I might have an outside shot at number one; which is currently held by WikiHow. See graphic:


Use The Right Keywords

To remedy this I am continuing my link building campaign to the site relatively unchanged (blog carnivals mostly thus far) but will be going into older posts and trying to add the entire keyword phrase into a few more posts. When appropriate I’ll take these freshly added keyword phrases and link them to my home page to further help tie the site together under the main keyword phrase. This process is not that big of a deal however since I rank number two for it and I not many people search for the entire phrase. According to Adwords’ Keyword Tool, only 46 searches for this term occur every month.


Another major problem with my original setup with this blog is that the main keyword phrase only has a CPC rate of about $0.05 per. This is terrible and something I didn’t consider back in May when I started the site. To narrow the term slightly I have ~170 people monthly searching for “live a longer life” which I also rank second for (another $0.05 phrase) and lastly I have ~720 people searching every month for the term “a longer life” which I rank 8th for. Again this is only a $0.05 CPC phrase. What I need to do is start focusing on phrases that have a better advertisers value. The only phrase that breaks out of my original long-tail phrase that remains is the term “longer life” which gets ~14,800 searches and costs advertisers a CPC rate of ~$1.10.

This is much better and could me much more lucrative for me to rank on the first page for and I should have been optimizing my backlinks for this… maybe not from the beginning but once my main phrase hit page 1, which was months ago.

Currently I rank for the term “longer life” in Google SERPs at number 22.

Last week I was at 25 so I’m almost to page two. If I can get to page one I can start claiming a decent chunk of those ~14,000 monthly searchers. To this goal I started optimizing inbound links where I could to my site to use the term “longer life” as the anchor text. As far as I know until I started this goal I didn’t have any anchored backlinks with this variation of my main keyword phrase. I figure that by building up backlinks with this anchor text I should be able to break into page two and then page one in time.

Keyword Profitability Analysis

On my post a few days back on increasing SERP rank for eHow I identified a hypothetical formula that would identify an approximation of potential profits for a given keyword phrase. (Go back and read it if you missed it; I’ll wait.) Using the same formula but adjusting for the lack of a middle man between me and Adsense, a number one ranking for the term “longer life” should translate to monthly Adsense earnings of ~$34.65 per month for this one keyword phrase. That of course is assuming I’m sitting in the number one position. The rank where I currently stand (page 3) gets me nothing because nobody goes three pages deep in the SERPs. Rank 11 (first on page two) might get me about a dollar if I’m lucky; the goal, however, is page one.

Climbing the SERPs

How have I started my assault on page one for the term “longer life”? I removed some text on my page that wasn’t relevant to anything related to my main term or focused term. I edited my blog description to include the term “longer life” and I added two more references to the term on the main page. I also added a few related terms to living long on the page that would reinforce the idea of living long such as the term “human longevity” and “life expectancy”. Now, if you analyze the main page it doesn’t look much different than it did befre but it does have a better keyword density.

Anchored backlinks

This was all the small stuff however. The main action is in getting anchored backlinks to the site using my preferred term “longer life”. To do this I wrote a long post called “How to Live a Longer Life” which encapsulated the entirety of the blog in summary. I then split the post up into parts in Word and submitted these parts to two different article directories (one on GoArticles and one on SelfGrowth) both of which don’t add the “nofollow” tag to outbound links. These two articles contain links to my main blog page and the post page using the shorter version of my main keyword phrase as the anchor text. The links in the articles fall once in the opening paragraphs and once in the closing paragraphs as well as in the bio lines. This means that when sites scrape my article for syndication they will include links back to my blog and post with my predefined optimized anchor text.

I further went out and started a Squidoo Lens (Squidoo also passes “dofollow” links) on Longevity and Aging which links into my article posted on GoArticles to help give it some PR and keyword authority which in turn helps people find it and syndicate it. I have yet to create a Lens doing the same to my SelfGrowth article but will do this in short order.

Article Syndication

The point here is to use the “dofollow” article directories as bait to other bloggers and content providers into syndicating my material on their own sites. Because my optimized backlinks are embedded in the articles when a few people start syndicating them then I should have a number of optimized “dofollow” backlinks from a wide smattering of sites. That’s the goal at least.

Like I said I only started this plan less than two weeks ago and my climbing of the SERPs for “longer life” has already begun. I started on the 10th of October at number 25 and I currently stand at 22. I figure with a few more article submissions, Squidoo Lenses, and maybe a few more Blog carnivals I should be able to climb the SERPs into page two in short order and then start working towards page one. As I said before page one is where the money is and I want to do everything I can to get there in order to actually build residual income online. I will of course discuss my progress in future posts. Thanks for checking in and reading this far.

Share This!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger · Designed By Seo Blogger Templates
Content Owned By Brian Chezfat of Chezfat.com | Privacy Policy | © 2009-2014